Hey mamas! This post is for YOU!
I want to tell you why you need to realize that you are an influencer…and I’m not talking about the social media buzz word.
I think sometimes it’s hard to see the full scope of our job as influencers in our family because we’re so IN IT.
We’re cooking, cleaning, washing and folding clothes, making breakfasts, lunches and dinners, grocery shopping, kissing booboos, attending field trips, chauffeuring from one activity to the next, reading bedtime stories and making them feel loved and accepted while also imparting knowledge and tools to live.
PHEWWW (And we wonder why we’re tired 🤷♀️)
Often we find ourselves so involved in the day to day grind and checking off to-dos that we forget how important it is to decide exactly how we want our family to run. See how I said DECIDE right there? Because it is a choice that WE, as parents, get to make in our own homes as to the rules, attitudes, and behaviors we want to set into place. Just like companies and teams strive to create a culture that breeds leaders, YOU are the cultural leader of YOUR family.
It is your job to influence your children to have a desire to make good choices. And getting clear on those rules, attitudes and behaviors that you want to encourage inside (and out) of the home is an extremely important thing to do that I think many of us just leave to hope and chance.
But babe, your tiny humans that you want to grow up to change the world…they need your guidance and an environment at home that helps them become those empathetic leaders. We can’t leave that up to prayer. Or just hoping. Or chance. It is up to US.
So I wanted to share some ways that Team Kimmey came together to decide on the family culture by creating a Family Action Blueprint using Dr. Robyn Silverman’s FAB Printables that I downloaded and printed from home:
- Have a one-on-one meeting with your partner if you have one. I know there are many different family situations, so if you are married, co-parenting, joined family or single parenting it up, then make sure that the adults are on the same page about WHY it is important to be the influencers in your family and to not leave it up to chance. Decide on a few non-negotiables up front before meeting with your kids so you can lead the conversation where you want it to go while still allowing your kids to get involved and feel like they have a say!
- Get your WHOLE family involved! Much like in a work or team setting, you need to have a TEAM MEETING. For us, we are Team Kimmey…and in order to win at this thing called life, we need to know the game plan and make sure we all understand.
- Let the kids have a say. Encouraging them to take part in deciding on the rules will give them ownership, which in turns help them to want to follow through and help enforce the rules they helped make.
- Make it FUN for them and EASY on you. Listen, I know that we don’t really need any MORE things to do…but this can really just be one of those ‘once and done’ kind of things, that is if you use the same tool I did (it’s COLORFUL and hands on for the kids *think coloring pages and drawing exercises* PLUS super easy and spelled out for US)! I reached out to the creator of the Family Action Blueprint that we used, Dr. Robyn Silverman, and she has agreed to give my subscribers a very special deal for ‘Allie’s Babes’!
- Consistency is KEY! You already know this, but this is especially true when helping build little minds, and new habits. It is so important to make sure that you commit to your Family Action Blueprint rules. We each signed and took the Oath at the end of the FAB Family Rules handout to show our commitment to each other!
- Have a plan for when things don’t go to plan. Obviously this is not about perfection. Why? Because we are human. The rules, attitudes and behaviors are things we strive to be and do. It’s important to be flexible throughout the process and I loved the printable in the FAB that helped you break down what happens when you break a rule, and how to do better next time!
- Take them with you everywhere! Not only did we display the bright rainbow colored rules sheet in the heart of our home, but we make sure that we take these core beliefs and culture with us wherever we go. In other words, good behavior doesn’t end at home, the culture you set in place in your safe space will flow over into every area of your and your children’s lives.
Our homes are the places that we get to make safe. They are the place where our children grow and learn how to be good humans. Your influence on them matters, it’s not just in what you say…it is most certainly in what you do! It’s time to make an intentional statement as an entire family about WHO Team [fill in the blank] is!
Here are Team Kimmey’s Family Rules, Expectations and Agreements (in no particular order):
- No Violence
- Respect + Manners
- Listen to Mama and Dada
- Be on time
- Kind Words
- Do the Right Thing
- God First
- Be Honest
- Just Do You
If you’d like to get a copy of the same amazing printables I used, just click HERE.
Dr. Robyn Silverman and her team have agreed to give you first access to this brand new resource, as well as a HUGE ‘Allie’s Babes’ ONLY discount available for a limited time (no coupon/code necessary)!
Happy Family Action Blueprinting!
Just do you,